Numismatik-Cafe

Münzen-Sammeln-Freunde
Aktuelle Zeit: 28. Apr 2024, 09:20

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 22. Jun 2010, 20:12 
Doktor

Bilder: 348

During the last period I was able to provide another two interesting 1780 MTT.

The first one is a good example (better than the other piece just in my collection which now I think to sell) of the H35.

It is the mysterious piece with the ST-S.F. signature.

Take a look .........

Dateianhänge:
ST-SF - Milan - H35a - Bust LR.jpg
ST-SF - Milan - H35a - Bust LR.jpg [ 104.99 KiB | 5495-mal betrachtet ]
ST-SF - Milan - H35a - Eagle LR.jpg
ST-SF - Milan - H35a - Eagle LR.jpg [ 105.76 KiB | 5495-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 22. Jun 2010, 20:18 
Doktor

Bilder: 348

Looking for into an old antiquary market I discovered this other piece.

It is a variety of the H1b which I classified as H1b_J1.

It is very interesting the cross near the Eagle. It has the bars inverted and the inverted small branches.

You can compare the piece with the piece shown on the web site "theresia.name" and you'll see the differences!

I also compared the cross with other pieces sold in the public auctions and I didn't find something like this one.

Take a look!

Dateianhänge:
AHGS - Karlsburg - H1b_J1 - Bust LR.jpg
AHGS - Karlsburg - H1b_J1 - Bust LR.jpg [ 110.36 KiB | 5494-mal betrachtet ]
AHGS - Karlsburg - H1b_J1 - Eagle LR.jpg
AHGS - Karlsburg - H1b_J1 - Eagle LR.jpg [ 105.29 KiB | 5494-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 23. Jun 2010, 06:38 
Kandidat

Bilder: 2
That is a nice example of H35. Before you sell your other piece have close look at both pieces my bet is you will find they are two separate varieties in their own right)

I have now examined 9 of this variety and what confuses me ( Since I wrote the article) at least five of those coins came from different die pairs. Conventional thinking is that their are two distinct varieties of H 35 the wide and close ST variants. Actually it was "1780 MTT"s close examination and attending to details that made me realise their may be more than two H35 variants.

Now if Florentine there is a problem, current literature suggests Florence only struck the coin in 1814 and 1828, but a large number of varieties would suggest to me that there was a much longer striking period: may be 1814 to 1828.

I suspect that although Florence is the best, at this time, option of mint for this coin, that a German state striking is a very real possibility.

My logic. The Burgau Taler was an important trading tool of French merchants. (In the region of modern day Oman it was called French Kurush). When Guenzburg closed, production continued at the other Austrian empire mints. As a result the costs of transportation increased for merchants operating from Marseilles. I can't see such merchants sitting back and accepting the change in business conditions I believe they may have approached mints closer to Marseilles seeking to develop a more economical supply of MTT. If a German/Napoleonic striking is ever proved it would make H35 the first non-Austrian strike and also legally ( using 18th/19 century law) a counterfeit. Marseilles may have produced the coin except that Napoleon had refused permission despite letters of patent having been drawn up by the Marseilles mint director.

Note: from my research the non Austrian 20th century strikes the non-Austrian strikes can not be deemed to be legally counterfeit as there was no national or international laws that covered it. The problem was that when the first Republic was established the monetary legislation (1924) for the first time since 1780, forgot the MTT. The previous law covering the coin (1892) was superseded by the 1924 legislation. H35 on the other hand was produced at a time when international and National law covered the MTT adequately.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde