Numismatik-Cafe

Münzen-Sammeln-Freunde
Aktuelle Zeit: 28. Mär 2024, 12:25

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: 1929 Latvian 5-lati
BeitragVerfasst: 22. Jun 2015, 06:09 
Professor

A 1929 Latvian 5-lati struck at the Royal Mint in London of .835 silver, with a diameter of 37mm and weighing 25.00g. The portrait is the likeness of government worker Zelma Brauere (b.1900-d.1977), but “Milda” is the usual name for the woman on the coin.

The strong appeal of these beautiful big pieces of silver is undeniable, and they’ve been a favorite of very many folks for many years. This 5-lati series runs from 1929-1932, with a total production of 3,600,000 coins. They’ve led eventful lives—even though they circulated for only about a decade.

Very many of these coins immediately became souvenirs of the new country’s existence, and when Latvia was occupied by the Soviet Union in 1940, it is said that many more of these 5-lati pieces went underground as symbols of a sleeping Latvia. (Both reasons these coins survive in large numbers today.)

And then I’ve read that large numbers of these coins were seized by the Soviets themselves in 1940 and became a part of the Soviet Union’s monetary reserves. Which at least saved them from the German invasion of Latvia in 1941 (after which—if what is said about Latvian families and their widespread fondness for these coins is true—then many of these 5-lati pieces must have been witness to some scenes of immense sadness.)

Of course many of the 5-lati pieces that survived the war in private hands remained underground for another several decades, until Latvia awoke. Throughout those years, their edge lettering was always hopeful: “DIEVS SVETI LATVIJU,” that is, “God Bless Latvia.”

:) v.

Dateianhänge:
100_7207.JPG
100_7207.JPG [ 39.43 KiB | 10139-mal betrachtet ]
100_7211.JPG
100_7211.JPG [ 42.94 KiB | 10139-mal betrachtet ]

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: 1929 Latvian 5-lati
BeitragVerfasst: 22. Jun 2015, 10:10 
Wirklicher Hofrat

Bilder: 35
Eine sehr schöne Münze! Zu Zelma Brauere ist vielleicht noch zu erwähnen, daß sie hochgeschätzt vom Künstler Rihards Zariņš, der auch das lettische Staatswappen entwarf, diesem vielfach Modell gesessen hat – z.B. für lettische Banknoten sowie als „Latvija“ am Steuerruder des Staatsschiffs auf dem 50 Santimu Stück der ersten Serie der Republik.

Dateianhang:
1922_50_Santimu_Milda_n.jpg
1922_50_Santimu_Milda_n.jpg [ 106.42 KiB | 10131-mal betrachtet ]

Erwähnenswert ist auch der Umstand, daß die Münzen von der Royal Mint geprägt wurden. Hier wurde das Zariņš-Portrait der „Milda“ - eine Bezeichnung, die Zelma Brauere zutiefst mißfiel – durch den britischen Graveur Percy Metcalfe ein wenig veredelt, sodaß wir auf der Endfassung der Münze eine lettisch-britische Gemeinschaftsarbeit vor uns haben.

Und - last not least - ist die „Milda“ neuerdings auf dem aktuellen lettischen Euro wiederzufinden.

Gruß klaupo

Dateianhänge:
2014_1_Euro_Latvia_n.jpg
2014_1_Euro_Latvia_n.jpg [ 108.96 KiB | 10131-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 9. Jul 2015, 21:16 
Professor

Thanks, klaupo, for the additional information. (I forgot I'd put this coin here.)

The 50-santimu is really a special piece. Makes me wish the design had found its way onto a big silver coin. Beautiful imagery.

And I had not seen the new "Milda" euro. I'll get one!

;) v.

BeitragVerfasst: 10. Jul 2015, 13:14 
Mitglied der geheimen Hofkammer

Bilder: 3472

villa66 hat geschrieben:
And I had not seen the new "Milda" euro. I'll get one!

I too! ;)

Münz-Goofy hat geschrieben:
Hallo Chippi, wenn du... kannst, wirst Du zusätzlich zum "Ottomanen ehrenhalber" ernannt.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde