Numismatik-Cafe

Münzen-Sammeln-Freunde
Aktuelle Zeit: 28. Mär 2024, 22:33

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 13. Sep 2011, 05:46 
Professor

The American 5-cent piece began life as a silver half-dime dated 1794. The half-dime was reduced in size in 1837 to compensate for an increase in silver fineness, and then reduced in size again in 1853 when the California Gold Rush caused an increase in the value of silver relative to gold.

After the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the small (1.24 grams in weight and 15.5mm in diameter) silver half-dime disappeared from circulation along with most other hard money and was largely replaced by a 5-cent paper note for the duration of the war. The half-dime did survive the conflict’s end, but not by much. The half-dime was retired in 1873 (although it remains legal tender even today).

Replacing the old silver coin was what became one of America’s all-time favorites: the 5-cent “nickel.” Introduced in 1866, the “nickel” was a substantial (5-gram) coin struck in a copper-nickel alloy (75% copper, 25% nickel) that remains unchanged today, 145 years later.

The nickel was the coin with which it can reasonably be said that America met the vending machine, the movie theater, the jukebox, and the pay telephone.

Nickels had busy lives, and often look it. Here are some tired survivors of the Shield type of 1866-1883, the Liberty Head type of 1883-1912, and the Indian Head type of 1913-1938....

Dateianhänge:
DSCF3211.JPG
DSCF3211.JPG [ 78.96 KiB | 16118-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 13. Sep 2011, 05:47 
Professor

And their reverses....

Dateianhänge:
DSCF3217.JPG
DSCF3217.JPG [ 76.28 KiB | 16117-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 13. Sep 2011, 05:51 
Professor

The new Jefferson type debuted in 1938, but war came to the United States in 1941. Nickel was a metal needed for tool steel and other critical wartime applications. The metal was in short supply, and as in other countries, an ersatz alloy was substituted for the 5-cent coin’s traditional copper-nickel.

The problem, however, was the coin’s widespread use in vending machines, in jukeboxes, and in pay telephones. A nickel-free composition that weighed 5 grams and delivered an electro-magnetic signature similar to the copper-nickel coin was required, otherwise many, many thousands of coin-operated machines—and pay telephones in particular--would need to be altered.

The solution was an odd combination of three metals (.560 copper, .350 silver, .090 manganese) that provided the proper weight, electro-magnetic signature, and satisfactory color. It was intended that the “silver nickels,” which were coined 1942-1945, would be retrieved from circulation after the war. These “warnickels,” therefore, were furnished with distinctive mintmarks—very much larger than usual—and in a different location. Instead of the usual position to the right of Monticello, the “silver nickels” of 1942-1945 displayed their giant mintmarks above Monticello.

There is something else odd about the mintmark displayed by the 1944P warnickel illustrated here. In addition to the D for Denver and S for San Francisco mintmarks visible on U.S. coinage, for the first time ever there is a P for Philadelphia.

After the war the government made some half-hearted attempts to withdraw the “warnickels,” but the coins continued to circulate for decades. There was a twist with their color, however. Silver nickels came from the mint somewhat whiter than the usual 5-cent nickel, but eventually weathered to a darker color than the copper-nickel version.

After a few years the big mintmark wasn’t necessary in order to distinguish them. Their darker, slightly greenish color betrayed them instead.

:) v.

Dateianhänge:
100_2864.JPG
100_2864.JPG [ 46.93 KiB | 16117-mal betrachtet ]
100_2862.JPG
100_2862.JPG [ 46.08 KiB | 16117-mal betrachtet ]

BeitragVerfasst: 13. Sep 2011, 07:55 
Mitglied der geheimen Hofkammer

Thank you for the good story about nickels. When I was a boy in the sixties I lived in Bamberg. There was a big US garrison, about 20.000 men with families. The US dollar circulated freely in most shops in town. American coins found the way in my growing collection, and I remember well the Indian head nickel my father brought home. It was a puzzle for years because I couldn't find the year of the coin. But the Indian head is still among my most favoured coin designs. Grüße, KarlAntonMartini

BeitragVerfasst: 13. Sep 2011, 17:17 

Bilder: 3472

Hello villa

A good story about the nickels, so let me add some pictures. On the silver nickels you can see the darker color and the big mint marks.

Kind regards

Dateianhänge:
5 Cents 1906 Philadelphia.jpg
5 Cents 1906 Philadelphia.jpg [ 28.44 KiB | 16091-mal betrachtet ]
5 Cents 1928 Philadelphia.jpg
5 Cents 1928 Philadelphia.jpg [ 29.49 KiB | 16091-mal betrachtet ]
5 Cents 1939 Philadelphia.jpg
5 Cents 1939 Philadelphia.jpg [ 26.98 KiB | 16091-mal betrachtet ]
5 Cents 1943 S San Fransisco - 350er Silber.jpg
5 Cents 1943 S San Fransisco - 350er Silber.jpg [ 25.53 KiB | 16091-mal betrachtet ]
5 Cents 1944 P Philadelphia - 350er Silber.jpg
5 Cents 1944 P Philadelphia - 350er Silber.jpg [ 26.3 KiB | 16091-mal betrachtet ]

Münz-Goofy hat geschrieben:
Hallo Chippi, wenn du... kannst, wirst Du zusätzlich zum "Ottomanen ehrenhalber" ernannt.

BeitragVerfasst: 17. Sep 2011, 20:02 
Professor

Thanks, Chippi, for the pictures. I especially like your '28 Buff. A nice example of the type!

In polite company these days, the U.S. 5-cent piece of 1913-38 is known as the "Indian Head 5-cent coin," but when I was a boy--and still now, anytime I can get away with it(!)--these coins are "Buffalo nickels."

It's been some years since I was a boy, and over the years I've looked at lot of the world's coins. There are a lot of American coin designs that just can't compete with those of other countries, but Fraser's Indian Head/Buffalo nickel holds its own, I think, whatever the competition.

:) v.

BeitragVerfasst: 17. Sep 2011, 20:19 
Professor

KarlAntonMartini hat geschrieben:
Thank you for the good story about nickels. When I was a boy in the sixties I lived in Bamberg. There was a big US garrison, about 20.000 men with families. The US dollar circulated freely in most shops in town. American coins found the way in my growing collection, and I remember well the Indian head nickel my father brought home. It was a puzzle for years because I couldn't find the year of the coin. But the Indian head is still among my most favoured coin designs. Grüße, KarlAntonMartini

I appreciate knowing this. I've thought about it some and have worked it into the way I look at U.S. coins in general, and Indian Head/Buffalo nickels in particular.

Buffalo nickels--and my boyhood encounters with the dateless members of the species--loom large in my early memories of coin collecting. And of course it's always been easy for me to generalize my experience to the mass of American collectors my age. (We all puzzled over dateless Buffs...and the dateless 1916-24 SL quarters.)

But I never considered that German (and some other European) boys might be going through the same thing, at the same time, with the same coin.

I remember almost buying some of the "date restorer" they sold in coin magazines. I never did, because I couldn't understand how it could work. But it does, and even now one occasionally sees these "acid date" (restored date) Buffalo nickels.

;) v.

BeitragVerfasst: 18. Sep 2011, 00:20 

Bilder: 3472

Thanks, villa66, but I only know these coins as Buffalo nickels, the Indian head is only the 1-cent-piece for me.

Kind regards

Münz-Goofy hat geschrieben:
Hallo Chippi, wenn du... kannst, wirst Du zusätzlich zum "Ottomanen ehrenhalber" ernannt.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde